Monday, September 29, 2008

Confessions of a Moonlighter

I woke up with a jolt in my head, maybe it's a hangover from last night's gimmick with my friends or a realization I have in mind these past few days or should I say, years. But one thing's for sure, I always wake up early in the morning to get ready for office work. I've been working for years already and it's feels like I'm in a monotonous rut right now. Juggling my moonlighting (sideline or second job) and work at the same time is no easy feat. I do love my job and I like the idea of working but sometimes, it just sucks. You know the feeling I'm-not-in-the-mood for work feeling but you still get up and head straight to the office to report for work. It's always work, work, work - it's always the same routine everyday. At times, I think I have no choice at all but to work. But, there are choices and if you can't find it in one place, you've got to find it elsewhere.

Working eight to ten hours a day is definitely not my cup of tea. I want to work at my own pace and timing because I want to get hold of my time. I'd like to do other things but I can't because I'm locked inside this cornered cubicle of mine. But who am I to complain? I know by heart that my work sustained me and my family for the past few years. Needless to say, I am paid for my job and the time I give to the company. What keeps me sane these days is my love for my work. And, I'm very much aware that I just can't quit my job especially now that the times are hard. One thing's for sure, all companies really maximize their employees' potential, so no matter how hard we work, our hard work will still not be compensated or so I thought. In my humble opinion, it is not a wise decision to become employees for the rest of our lives. So we've got to find a way out or else, life gets boring and so, so, so dull. No offense meant for these opinions running in my head. When you're the employee, you're at your company's mercy, you don't really own your time because the company owns your time at the moment of work!

Reality really bites. Our economy's condition is truly devastating and the prices of commodities have gone haywire. Who cares about the low dollar rate? It's as if nothing's changed because apparently, many Filipinos are still suffering and they're still counting. Our fares are not that fair anymore, it's like killing the passengers whenever they commute! Damn, such changes are inevitable these days but in a way, changes could be healthy too if we only knew what to do about these things. We all know that time is money and therefore, we should not waste our time. What I did was to have small jobs other than my current job. I tried moonlighting and I'd say that the rewards are good. I chose to have sidelines rather than depend on my meager salary. As the old adage puts it, "It's not how much you earn but how much you save that matters." Saving is one of the best ways to prepare for the future but it isn't enough if we want to achieve financial freedom. The earlier we start saving for the rainy days, the better. Think of business moguls Donald Trump, Bill Gates and Robert Kiyosaki and get inspired. Nowadays, I learned to save and use my money wisely.

Do you want to become a financially independent person? I know you do. Admit it. You want to get rich or simply put, have a stable source of income to support the lifestyle you choose. There is nothing wrong about wanting to achieve financial freedom and become rich. Contrary to the popular belief that money is the root of all evil, money is a tool to avoid evil, if it’s used for good. Of course, at times like these, we have to be stable enough to support our chosen lifestyle. If you're living on a minimum wage, be tight-fisted when it comes to financial matters. We can't let money slip out of our hands just like that. Don't spend like you're a millionaire if you are not. Priority is key. We have to prioritize our expenses and we have to know where our money goes. So every payday, I make it a point to save what I've earned. At least, my hard-earned money will grow. Saving alone is not enough so we've got to find other effective ways to get out of this financial rut. Even if you are the owner of multiple banks and corporations, it is not a guarantee that you will be worry-free financially.

Remember, our spending habits can greatly affect our financial status which is why we should be very careful on how we spend our dough. I also learned that it would be better to shop when it's needed, than to shop impulsively without even thinking where to spend the money. Unless I'm rich, I can splurge and shop till I drop provided that I can support that kind of lifestyle. A nearly perfect example would be this: You always buy designer bags, cutesy flip-flops and other fun things to add to your collection. I’m not saying it’s bad to spoil yourself and splurge on these things but if the time comes there’s an emergency (e.g. hospital expenses), would you be able to get your money back on these purchases right away? Unfortunate as it seems, your collection will just look through your gaze but it wouldn’t return your money when you need it the most. While you still have lots of time and money, save a portion of your allowances and watch your money grow. As we all know, time is gold and money combined. Bear in mind that lost time can never be recovered. Well, you don’t want to lose gold, don’t you?

Saving alone is not enough although it will be very useful in the long haul. Another effective way to make money grow is to invest it. Having your own business is a wise decision to make if you have the money and dedication to make your business reach its maximum potential. It can be risky but it's definitely worth it. What if you do not have enough capital? Keep in mind this simple but wise byword, "If there's a will, there's a way." You can borrow money from friends, banks or lending institutions. Possibilities are endless, it's in the matter of finding ways to achieve that financial goal. We should make the most of our time to achieve a good financial state. There is no other good time to start but NOW. If you're fainthearted, achieving financial independence will be very impossible and far from your reach. You may think that you may fail or lose a lot of money when you start going into business but hey, you're not going to learn if there are no failures at all. It may be a gamble, but we should learn to take risks or else we'll never be financially stable. What if your budding entrepreneurial spirit soared and blossomed into something that is more than from what you asked for? That would be hitting the jackpot!

As of the moment, I’m still working to achieve financial freedom but it’s comforting to know that I was able to support myself without my parents’ help. Sure, it feels good when your folks can give you a nice, expensive car and support all your needs. Come to think of this, wouldn't it be nicer if you’re the one who bought it for yourself? I assure you, nothing compares to that uplifting feeling of independence. Why? Because deep inside you, you know that you can be independent.

Above all of these, I'm thankful that I'm still working. I've learned a lot of what it feels like to be working not just for me but for others as well. Because of work, I became wise enough to discern what kind of work and moonlighting I'll have in order to achieve financial freedom. Now, my eyes are widely opened to reality and what it will bring to my life. I fully understand what our parents have gone through, now that I am working to support myself and my family.

Remember, we may be ordinary individuals without a political position or influence but we can do something to contribute progress in our country. Just by knowing that we did not contribute to poverty is one of the first steps to becoming a responsible and financial literate citizen of the republic.

Find ways to become financially free and believe that you have the power to create your own opportunity. I assure you, this is one decision you will never regret.

No comments: